[MacDV] Re: Hard drive for iBook video editing

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Mon Mar 3 13:23:37 PST 2003

Thanks for the feedback.  It seems odd that there would be that much
contention on the FireWire bus, since it was supposed to handle 64
devices on it, but maybe it wasn't intended to have more than one _at a
time_ trying to use it.

>So shop around, check out reviews and benchmarks and get the
>biggest, fastest drive that will fit internally in your iBook.

The iBook is limited to 9.5mm height, and the biggest 5400RPM drive
I've seen yet is the IBM/Hitachi Travelstar 40GNX, which is still only
40GB [$150].  There are a couple of 4200RPM 60GB drives, but I was a
little worried about the speed.  There is the Hitachi 80GNX 9.5mm
5400RPM 80GB drive that is supposed to be coming out any time now, but I
haven't heard of one actually being available.  Plus I suspect they will
be more like $450.

Sigh.  Maybe what I really need to do is get a desktop machine for
serious video editing (where massive hard drives are cheap) and use the
laptop only for portable editing.