[MacDV] Re: Hard drive for iBook video editing

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Mon Mar 3 23:33:13 PST 2003

on 3/3/03 1:33 PM, Mark M. Florida at markflo at mac.com wrote:

> I think the problem with FireWire drives and DV cameras together on the
> same bus is that DV transfer is a real-time event, and has very little
> tolerance for latency.  Having multiple hard drives on the same
> FireWire bus isn't a problem since just copying files does not
> necessarily have to happen in real-time.  It's not so much sustained
> transfer rate as general control latency and contention...

It depends on a number of factors. I have successfully captured DV from a
JVC dual VHS/Mini DV deck directly to an OWC Mercury Elite Firewire drive -
over an hour of captured video with nary a dropped frame, using a G4/867Mhz
machine and FCP 3.

On the other hand, trying to capture DV from my Sony TRV-315 to the same
drive on my G4/400 Mhz upgraded Umax S900 clone (using a VST Firewire/USB
card) locks up the computer. Yet I can playback from the drive thru the
Firewire to the camcorder no problem. I think if there's a weak link
anywhere (in my case, probably the PCI buss limitations of my
computer/Firewire card) you'll have problems.

It can be done, however.
--
Gregg