Off Topic... sort of > OSX/OS9 bootable machines

Fabian Ius Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca
Sat Mar 22 06:49:58 PST 2003

Please excuse my ignorance...
(I am using this list because of past favourable advice from group members)

I am buying a new G4 PowerMac.
As a teacher, I can purchase an Apple computer at a discounted price.  (saving about a few hundred dollars CDN)

Our school board, because of MAJOR funding cuts to our budget, is NOT supporting OSX and states they have very little intention to do so in the foreseeable future.
Our school board, before the budget cuts, purchased approximately 5000 iMacs over the past 4 years.

Teachers and students have access to licenced software for Mac OS9.  (I doubt our school board will purchase new software that is only OSX usable.)

If I purchase a new machine that is OSX bootable only, how can I access the OS9 software that our school board has purchased?

I know Classic can run on a machine that also has an OS9 System Folder, but can OS9 only apps run on a machine that is OSX bootable only?  If so, how are they installed in Classic ?

Apple is also allowing schools and teachers to purchase, until June 2003, machines that are also OS9 bootable.  I would like to purchase a new G4, but I may have to pick up a fairly new machine that is also OS9 bootable.

I can buy a Dual 1.25 GHz G4 PowerMac OS9 bootable and an Apple 17" FlatPanelDisplay
or
Dual 1.25 GHz PowerMac G4 OSX bootable only and an Apple 20" FPD
(with Firewire 800, etc.)

I need access to OS9 apps for school-use !!!!

Also, has anyone successfully used an Apple 20" FPD on an older G4?

What other Flat Panel Displays have others purchased to use with a G4 PowerMac?

thank you in advance for your thoughts and expertise,
Fabian
currently using a Lombard G3 Powerbook 333 MHz 512 MB RAM 30 GB HD

view student animation @ ...
http://homepage.mac.com/fabulousfootage/fabulousmovies/iMovieTheater21.html