[MacDV] Re: Stupid Question?

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 23 04:44:30 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 10:58  PM, Gordon B. Alley wrote:

>> On 3/22/03 2:48 PM, "Steven Rogers" <srogers1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks - yes, they are on VHS tape - and yes, I need "something" to
>> act as a
>> digital bridge. Suggestions?
>
> If you plan to get a digital camcorder, get one that has the
> "pass-through" function. Most (but not all, IIRC) Sony Digital8
> camcorders can do this.

Even if your camcorder doesn't have the "pass thru" function, you can
still use it as an analog to digital converter. Just insert a blank
tape in your digital camcorder and make a digital copy of your analog
VHS original. Since the video is converted to digital before it goes
onto the camcorder's tape, the camcorder's tape should not contribute
to any loss of quality. The only drawback is that this method takes
twice as much time as a "pass thru."

Steve Robertson