[MacDV] Re: OT: Best way to destroy used CD-R's

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Thu Mar 27 07:46:06 PST 2003

If you just grab a chunk of Gaffers (duct) tape or even good masking
tape (not white tape) you can easily peel off big chunks of the
reflective surface... you only need to peel off a little of it and the
disk is useless.

But just snapping them in half is probably the easiest way. Unless
you're a sleeper for the SAS or something... in which case shears or a
shredder is your best bet.

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 09:08 PM, Ron Woodland wrote:

> Just take a sharp object and scratch the side with the coating.  On a
> CD-R, that is what actually contains the encoded data - the laser
> burns the reflective coating on the underside through the plastic disk
> material to create a null-reflection point representing a binary 1 (or
> 0, I'm not sure).  Any significant amount of scratches to that
> reflective surface will probably make the disk unreadable.  I use a
> car key and do it several places hard until the reflective material
> flakes off, then simply throw it away.  There's no way anyone can read
> it.
>
> Of course, in our world today you can't be too careful.  A CD shredder
> would be the ultimate protection.  Then again, I don't have anything
> archived that would be that sensitive.  My method is sufficient for
> the work I do.
>
> Ron Woodland
>

> Susan Tomanek wrote:
>
>> we shred them. got a cd shredder at office depot.  ----------
>>> From: Dwayne Bradley <dwayne_bradley at mac.com>
>>> To: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>> Subject: [MacDV] OT: Best way to destroy used CD-R's
>>> Date: Wed, Mar 26, 2003, 4:49 PM
>>>

>>> I know that this is a little off topic, but I thought that this group
>>> should have plenty of experience with this.
>>>
>>> What is the best way to destroy used CD-R's?  I have several that
>>> have
>>> personal backup data which is very old that I no longer need and I do
>>> not want to just throw them in the trash with this data still
>>> accessible.  What does everyone think?

> digest version.

> <http://www.macresq.com>

Matthew Guemple