[MacDV] Re: Question for Jim Heid about iLife

Craig Busch clbusch at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 29 22:33:23 PST 2003

Steve,
I appreciate your comments.  If I am off base, I apologize to Jim and any others
affected.  If it helps, I will let you know where I am coming from.  First, I have been a
strong Apple supporter and user since 1985.  I am a teacher in a large school district.
My strong Mac support is one of the reasons our school stayed with Macs when a lot of
schools and districts jumped ship and went to Windows.  I am getting ready to get a new
computer to burn DVDs.  I have read a lot of things about iDVD3 that are not positive.  A
call to Apple tells me that it works fine on their machines.  The response by some is
maybe they have certain applications or other things that are causing problems.  Maybe
they have some bad memory.  The list goes on.  I have been reading Jim Heid,s articles
for awhile.  I have a lot of respect for him.  I figure if he is writing a book on iLife,
then he has put the software through the hoops.  He would be a "source."  Many times
people have problems with software or their computer because they really don't understand
how something works.  Another very respected writer of Apple software said that iLife
should not have been released.  He said that Apple had to know about issues with the
software.  Then I talk to a different person who uses iMovie3 and iDVD3 regularly and has
no problems.
When I saw that Jim Heid would post on occasion, I thought I would ask.  I'm sure he is a
very busy person, but the question was related to the subject of his book.
If that is out of line, then again, I apologize. There are several avenues to make DVDs.
I do not need a new computer to edit.  I have a very solid editing machine.  There are
however, several ways to go about creating DVDs.  I have learned much in my life asking
those who know-and saved a lot of money.
In the spirit of making peace, I retract my question to Jim Heid, and wish him the best
of success with his new book.
This is a very supportive group and I appreciate being able to participate.
Peace.