[MacDV] Re: Where can I find..

Gerhard Kuhn suspice at hay.net
Sun Mar 30 06:52:45 PST 2003

I think the best way to learn is with a book beside your computer then
when you are learning it you have a reference source to help over the
little obstacles you will find.  Editing with iMovie is easy to learn
once you understand the interface it is really very intuitive.  Once
you know the basics you just have to make a lot of movies and bore your
friends and family and they will hopefully be able to provide you with
some constructive criticism.

I bought David Pogue's book iMovie 2 if you wait I am sure a iMovie 3
version will be ought soon and I also own Scott Smith's Firewire
Filmmaking which is not specifically focussed on iMovie but does give a
lot of good information editing and shooting video in general.
Thinking that I may want to buy FCE I also bought Michael Rubin's
Beginners Final Cut Pro but since I don't have the program yet I find
it hard to get much useful information from reading it.  To sum up get
the program, buy a book and then make lots of movies.  Make sure to
keep the length under five minutes if you make somebody sit through a
one hour video of your family opening Christmas presents they will run
next time you suggest that they watch one of your "feature" films.
That is the whole point of editing in the first place make it short,
informative, entertaining and short, remember make it short.

Good luck

Gerhard