[MacDV] Re: Formats...

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Mon May 12 08:21:39 PDT 2003

> It would be burned through iDVD, so not entirely uncompressed right? I
> guess I'll try it out and see what happens, just to know for sure, but
> I suspect you are correct.

No DVD *video* disc is uncompressed -- ALL OF THEM USE MPEG-2 COMPRESSION --
the only difference is bit rate -- higher for better quality using more disc
space, lower for lower quality using less disc space.  When iDVD creates a
disc, it does the compression "in the background", and "transparent to the
end-user" so you don't have to think about it...

See my other post about quality difference on a video DVD created from
various source codecs -- the quality difference will be virtually
non-existent between source using the DV codec vs. the "None" codec.

- Mark