[MacDV] Re: Screenplays and writing tools--MacDV Digest #2161

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Mon May 12 19:40:38 PDT 2003

Alright... don't want to get into a thing... but...

> That just shows where you emphasize value, not what the most efficient
> use
> of money is. Your friends are wrong.
They may be wrong but their scripts are sold and some even made...
> The software helps the process, makes
> it smooth and effortless,
I cannot believe that. Are you writing features? There is nothing about
writing that is smooth and effortless, unless perhaps you are Steven
King.
> and also provides services no word program will do
> easily, if at all.
agreed
> And though the writing is all, if the format is wrong,
> no one in the "biz" will bother to read it.
Once he has something worth showing (or more importantly worth trying
to show) to people in the "biz" he can get FD or MM and do his polish
in that...
>   For those for whom time is
> valuable, the software saves it.
Perhaps, but I think that in light of the fact that this person is
"taking a class" and has never done it before, the time "wasted" would
only be noticed by who already knows what they are doing... ie. If work
on a 667mhz you don't realize you are "wasting" time that would be
saved on a 1ghz... (anyway you know what I mean?)
> For those who write regularly, a 24p
> rental is useless without a script, and a script that comes out
> smoothly is
> a god-send.  Furthermore, no proper script, no camera rental will make
> up
> for bad story
granted... heartily agreed to but again, he has no perception of
smoothly. You don't appreciate a thing without some point of
reference...
>  or formatting
Formatting is just formating... I know of one guy who pitched a film at
a cocktail party. It was great idea. He wrote it and they made it... It
flopped. The format had no bearing on any of it.
> ...just differences in perspective Matt.
  Yes but to my mind, it's like telling someone that if they want to
make a film they should go out and buy a camera...

Anyway as I said. I don't want to get into a thing.. but it sounds to
me like you know way more about this than he does. Hence my feeling
that his energy should go into just writing... unformatted even, just
to start LEARNING HOW TO WRITE... who knows maybe he's just a really
great Haiku writer but does'nt know it yet...

(I dearly love this list!)
Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599