[MacDV] Re: Getting mpeg files from DVD

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Tue May 13 07:39:39 PDT 2003

>> Hi
>>
>> I've been trying out bb DEMUX1.2 to extract mpeg files from DVDs, as
>> recommended by Erica.
>>
>> I get the streams extracted OK, but when I try to play the mpeg files I
>> get an error which says a software component is missing.
>>
>> Could Erica or anyone who has used bbDEMUX 1.2 please help.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Alan
>

> You can buy the MPEG playback codec from apple.

Apple's $20 MPEG-2 playback component will allow MPEG-2 playback from Mac OS
9 or 0S X (but you'll have to pay separately for each OS).  If you're on OS
X, you can also try a free MPEG-2 player like VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

VLC will allow simple playback, but none of the other cool things that
QuickTime allows, like converting to a different QuickTime format (codec).

- Mark