[MacDV] Re: Editing Software Question

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Fri May 16 21:37:51 PDT 2003

The cost of Jag is a factor, plus there hasn't been any software that runs on it only to make me want to spend the money quite yet. iMovie runs much better on 9 than 10 and that makes me a little reluctant to move to ten until I get a faster Mac which is not something that is happening soon. I'd prefer to save the money for Final Cut Pro since it can run on 9 than blow money on Final Cut Express if it is going to perform like iMovie 3 is on 10.

I have 512mb of RAM installed on this 800Mhz iMac.

Charles Martin wrote:

Not very surprising. Why are you not on Jag? It's significantly faster
than 10.1.5. Also, how much memory have you got running on that machine?
-------

I was running into the limits of iMovie rather quickly so having to learn a bit more to run Final Cut is not really an issue. What I want to know is if I spend the $299 for the Express version of Final Cut, will it perform adequately or do I need a G4 to use it. If so, I'll have the hurdle of getting a whole new Mac before I even get to saving up money for the software.

>> I was wondering how well Final Cut Express would perform?

FCP is a significantly different -- and some would say more complicated
-- program than iMovie. I would guess it would perform at around the
same speed as iMovie. Perhaps adding RAM or using a large, FW dedicated
drive would make more a difference.

_Chas_