Editing Software Question

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat May 17 09:30:35 PDT 2003

> From: David Thrasher <idave at earthlink.net>
>
> The cost of Jag is a factor, plus there hasn't been any software that
> runs on it only to make me want to spend the money quite yet. iMovie
> runs much better on 9 than 10 and that makes me a little reluctant to
> move to ten until I get a faster Mac which is not something that is
> happening soon. I'd prefer to save the money for Final Cut Pro since
> it can run on 9 than blow money on Final Cut Express if it is going to
> perform like iMovie 3 is on 10.
>
> I have 512mb of RAM installed on this 800Mhz iMac

I am reliably informed that FCE runs faster and better than iMovie 3.
Unless you're working with film sources or HD sources, the $600
difference between FCP and FCE isn't really worth it. Having said that,
FCP4 which is just out has tons of new features that haven't made their
way to FCE yet, so perhaps things like titling software and the other
new add-ons make up the difference for you.

That said, I'm sure an iMovie 3 update that will finally work out the
biggest kinks in the thing is coming along in due course.

_Chas_

"Microsoft has innovated nothing. The thing I find most contemptible is
Bill's lying , this thing about innovating. It makes me want to puke.
That's innovation a la Rockefeller, not innovation a la Edison."
— Larry Elisson, Oracle CEO, 1998 interview with PC Week Online.