iTunes AAC to iMovie 2

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue May 20 00:42:44 PDT 2003

> From: Juan Mariscal <juanm at mac.com>
>
> So, I purchased a song or two or three or more from the Apple Music
> Store. It is in iTunes. How come I cannot easily import those into
> iMovie? (I think I did it but then the next time I couldn't remember
> how)

 From your comments below I assume you are using iMovie 2. I doubt that
will import AACs at all. You can get around this by converting the AACs
to AIFFs and then importing them into iMovie. And no, this is not
illegal. In fact, your AAC purchase *specifically* includes the right
to use the song for personal iMovies or iPhoto slide shows!

> Is this true in iMovie3 which has the direct internal link to iTunes.

I'm having no trouble at all with AAC and iMovie 3. Just drag and drop.

> Also, I have QT Pro and that won't let me export the AAC file to
> another format.

iTunes will, so use that. It will not let you (directly) convert to
MP3, however.

> am I doing something wrong or is this just protecting those files and
> songs from being copied.

More likely the former than the latter. AACs bought from the Apple
Store can't be directly converted to MP3s, but than can be made into
MP3s by simply converting them to AIFF files first. This extra step
should be enough to deter all but the most determined thieves, and of
course you are using your AAC file within the legal right granted to
you when you bought it so there's no issue in your case.

> (I hesitate to ask cuz I know someone is going to lecture me about
> pirating which is not what I am doing.

You're right, you are NOT pirating or doing anything even remotely
illegal. So why would someone lecture you? Quite the opposite --
congrats on being one of the "ethical elite" who buy their music from
the iTunes Music Store!

_Chas_

Q: How many Microsoft programmers does it take to write a great piece
of software?

A: More!