[MacDV] Re: Did anyone else see this?

Gerhard Kuhn suspice at hay.net
Thu May 22 13:42:52 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 10:32  AM, Michael Winter wrote:

> I get the feeling that no matter what Apple does they're going to be
> some dissatisfied customers. Having a drive that can burn either
> format is great for people who know the difference and know what
> they're doing. OTOH, the consumer/home user who just wants to burn a
> DVD of their kid's birthday party doesn't want the hassle of trying to
> figure out what format works with what drives and DVD players (IMO
> anyway).
>
> So add the feature and novice users have trouble, or don't add it and
> have the advanced users complain. Its the bane of the
> software/hardware manufacturer.

I don't see see how people are dissatisfied with the -R format nor do I
see either an advantage or disadvantage in having +R.  Both formats
have similar luck playing video on set top players.  If I was using a
PC then I would see the advantage to having a drive that supports both
formats since you have larger choice of authoring software and that way
you haven't limited your future choices through your choice in hardware.
I think Apple made a wise decision in supporting only one format
because it allows for focusing it's resources on getting it's software
right rather than having patches so that it works o.k. with either
format.

Gerhard Kuhn
suspice at hay.net