[MacDV] Re: internal drives

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Tue May 27 12:55:23 PDT 2003

> Are you saying that the best way to upgrade a G3 hard drive is to go
> with a firewire drive instead of an internal drive. With all the
> problems I hear about not being able to download the video directly to
> the firewire drive I was trying to stay away from them. When I was
> researching what to do with my 733MHz G4 I found that the fast internal
> drives like the Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 drives are actually faster than
> the firewire drives. But then I have a 100MHz bus. Do all G3s have less
> than a 100MHz bus? Will this then make a difference using a second
> internal drive versus an additional firewire drive. He may already have
> a firewire card so that cost will not be a factor.
>
> Eric

Actually, the main bottleneck is the speed of the IDE/ATA bus that the drive
is connected to.  So you could get a Sonnet or Acard ATA/100 card and
install an internal drive on that card -- that would probably be your best
option.  If it's a Blue/White G3, the existing ATA drive bus should be fast
enough as well, but definitely add a faster ATA card for a Beige G3.

2 cents.

- Mark