[MacDV] MPEG-2 Question

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Thu May 29 16:59:12 PDT 2003

While this *does* seem like something pretty basic to do, Apple's
implementation loses the audio -- it's done this since QuickTime supported
MPEG-1 playback as well.  I don't know why, but that's the way it is, and
yes it *does* suck.  If you're running Mac OS X, there are some shareware
and freeware utilities that will handle the audio conversion for you...

I would do a search on macupdate.com (MUCH better than VersionTracker, IMO)
for various strings:

"MPEG2"
"MPEG-2"
"MPEG audio"

I think MissingMpegEdit should do it:

http://homepage.mac.com/rnc/

If the audio is in AC3 format (no, not AAC -- AC3 is the standard audio
codec for DVD MPEG-2) you can use Mac3dec (search on macupdate.com again):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac3dec/

Give that a go.