[MacDV] Re: question about which G4 to buy for digital vido

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat May 31 18:22:45 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 31, 2003, at 04:39  PM, gail weisman wrote:

> thanks jim, appreciate your speedy response! more answers for you:
>

>> How much can you fford?
> well, it would be a montly payment if i'm leasing; if i kept my
> old sony 17" monitor and just got the G4 it would be $60 or 70 a month
> i could afford that, maybe a little more.

You will have to work with a leasing co.? or can you do yourself credit?

> How fast d you need to work?
> well, i know how much large files eat up time and ram and hd space using
> photoshop, i can only imagine how working with audio and video could get
> tediously slow if the machine wasn't fast enough. i don't need to work
> at
> superpseed or anything, but i don't want to have to wait hours to do
> effects
> or anything i would do while editing and producing short documentaries
> (that's my goal).

I have a single 867  Seems fast enough most of the time.  Anything
faster is gravy.
You are unlikely to need to much heavy effects rendering , and it gives
you a chance to use the can.

>> processors work with your fav app?
>> Do you need a Superdrive?
>>
> i don't think i need a superdrive, for the time being i'm not sure i
> need to
> press DVDs; i would like to burn CDs for music though. do i need the
> superdrive to do that?

No any CD burner will do that.

\\
> as far as apps, i have OLD versions of all pirated software (shhh, don't
> call the software police) so i'm bummin out there. i'm going to have to
> find
> some sources because i can't afford $1000 for the new photoshop, another
> $1000 for final cut pro, etc., etc,    i'm an unemployed graphic
> designer
> with a temp job, some savings and a good credit rating, but i'm not
> loaded
> or anything (plus i live in the SF bay area which is ridiculously
> expensive).

I had already surmised this and that is why I am telling you refurbs and
leftovers.
Cause the new ones don't boot 9.
Jim