[MacDV] Re: Cheap trick

Carl Flatow cflatow at optonline.net
Sat Nov 1 09:33:59 PST 2003

On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 11:53 AM, James Asherman wrote:

>> I think that anyone who wonders why Apple finds it necessary to make
>> money should ponder the Amiga. A superior computer platform that was
>> too unconcerned with where its profits would come from to survive.
>>
>> Carl
>
> A; Being an Amigan I can tell you that you are wrong.
> Amiga was ALL proprietary and though ahead at the start , could not
> catch up due to the proprietary nature of all their good stuff.
> Apple seems to have absorbed that lesson. To an extent anyway.

I had the opposite impression. The Amiga was such an infinitely
expandable machine that nobody needed to buy a new box. Although I have
a 2000, I have a friend who had a 500 which he essentially made into a
2000 and beyond. Add to that the 3rd party expansion boxes you could
buy and you have a technology which no longer supports its manufacturer.
I don't think that the "good stuff" was any more proprietary than the
Mac's.

Carl