DV cam Comparison

Karl Seilo kseilo at ameritech.net
Sun Nov 9 10:35:24 PST 2003

I'm preparing to purchase a new prosumer DV camera and I'm looking for
some advice on comparing two different models.  I don't have the budget
to purchase the XL1, GL2, Panasonic HD, JVC PDX10 or the outrageously
priced Sony DV cameras.  So, I've been studying the Panasonic DV953 and
the JVC SR 3000 -- both priced under $1,000.  Although both products
are an excellent value and offer outstanding 3-CCD video, the Pana
DV953 seems to have a 'touchy' zoom control (hard to 'feather') and the
JVC SR3000 loads from the bottom making it extremely annoying to load
when shooting from a tripod.  Any thoughts, please?   Thanks for any
input -- especially from the guys that shoot a lot.

Karl