U-matic to DVD- How to preserve quality?

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Oct 1 07:52:43 PDT 2003

We have a large block of educational material on 3/4" U-matic video
tapes, for which we own the copyright.  We would like to select
scenes from this material, and produce new instructional DVDs.
During our test phase, we copied from the U-matic tapes to mini-DV,
linking the composite video output from the U-matic VCR into the
analog AV-inputs of a Sony TRV-30 camcorder.  The camcorder digitized
the analog video, which we brought into the computer via FireWire,
and edited with iMovie and Final Cut Pro.  The final step is creating
the DVD using DVD Studio Pro.  Results were acceptable, but loss of
video quality was noticeable.

The conversion to DV25 via the camcorder, and then resampling to
MPEG-2 for the DVD, is something I would like to avoid, but I don't
know how to approach it.  The editing that we need to do is very
simple- for the most part, just defining start and stop points for
each scene.  In a few cases, we want to eliminate the current sound
track, and add music or narration.

Can anyone suggest a superior procedure for this project (or tell me
not to bother, that I won't see any significant increase in quality)?
Would it work to record from the U-matic VCR to a stand-alone DVD
recorder, rip the data from that DVD in the computer, edit somehow,
and create a new DVD from there?  What software can do simple editing
of MPEG-2?

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu