[MacDV] Re: Help Lost Media

Eric Phillips PHILLIE at wyeth.com
Thu Oct 2 04:08:18 PDT 2003

I looked at the project file and it does reference all the clips that I
put in the movie. Some how these clips are no longer in the media
folder. What is the best way to get media from one project into another
project without importing from the camera again?

Eric

At 7:43 AM -0400 9/29/03, Eric Phillips wrote:
>This past weekend I spent three hours putting together a movie and
now
>both iMovie and Quicktime cannot open the reference movie. When I try
>open the project I get error messages for each clip and transition
>saying that it cannot find or open the files, I don't remember which
it
>said. Everything was fine until I was messing around with things.
First
>I was showing my wife how easy Toast6 was to add multiple movies and
>make buttons for a VCD. So I dragged the reference movie to the
Toast6
>window and showed her how to select the frame I wanted for the
button.
>Since I wasn't actually going to make a CD of this I deleted the
movie
>out of Toast and closed Toast. I was making short 15-20min. home
movies.
>Since I had many more clips to make the next movie from, new baby
stuff,
>I created a new project in iMovie 3.0.3 then closed iMovie. I then
>opened the first media folder and selected all the unused clips that
>wanted in the next movie. I then duplicated them and pasted then in
the
>new media folder. The copy window that popped up said it would take 8
>minutes to complete. Not wanting to wait 8 minutes I stopped the
process
>and deleted the three clips in the new media folder that did get
copied.
>I then just dragged the clips from the old media folder to the new
one.
>Then the old project would not open. I quickly moved everything back
>the old media folder but it still would not work. What is in that
media
>folder is the background music one or two transitions and the unused
>clips. Shouldn't the clips used in the movie still be in the media
>folder? Does anyone have an idea where I lost my media?

Make a copy of your iMovie project file. Then open it in
TextEdit. Scan through the file and make sure that all
the media actually appears in your original project Media
folder. I suspect you lost a clip or two along the way.

As a rule, don't mess with your Media folder unless you're
really confident about what you're doing.

As for the reference movie, it will rebuild when you open
and save your iMovie project.

-- Erica

<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacDV.html>.
Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the
digest version.

 XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
   Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
$879!