DVD Authoring Software

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Sat Sep 6 08:44:16 PDT 2003

On 9/5/03 at 8:11 AM, Pat Sullivan <psullivan at knology.net> transmitted
the following electronic message:

>I have encoded some video with FFmpegX at a lower bit rate than iDVD,
>so more can fit on a disk (480x480 @ 2500 kbps). What is the best
>low-cost solution to get these video clips onto a DVD? I have used VCD
>Builder with good success for SVCDs and wondered if there is something
>similar for DVDs.
>
>Does anybody have experience with Toast 6 yet, and would this fit the
>bill?

Toast 6 will fill the bill, as soon as they get an update out that works
around Toast thinking that EVERYTHING needs to be reencoded.

For the time being, what I'm doing with the MPEGs I create that are at a
lower (and variable) bit-rate, is to use Sizzle to create the DVD disk
image and then burn that in Toast. The downside on Sizzle is that the
menus really are pretty weak, at least visually; however, they are more
flexible than either Toast or iDVD in that you can have a lot more
buttons on a single menu and have more control over what they do.

--Dennis Cohen
  Mac Digital Photography
  iLife Bible
  Mac OS X Bible