[MacDV] A big difference between the two

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Sun Sep 14 15:24:14 PDT 2003

   >From: czayachkowski at shaw.ca
   >
   >Toast on a whole is a LOT cheaper than DVD Studio Pro but it does a lot
   >more than burning. It is DVD Authouring where is Toast just does a
   >direct burn. DVD Studio Pro has the ability to make your DVD look
   >professional with all the graphical elements and motion titles.

Right, which is why I'm hoping I can find a friend who has DVDSP and
visit long enough to slap some user interface elements onto my iMovie
files, encode them, then take the resulting file(s) home and burn the
DVDs at my leisure from my own Mac.

Of course, none of this would be necessary if iDVD didn't have a hard
90-minute limit; the tapes I'm trying to back up are just a bit longer
than that! I know that Erica and some others have discussed manually
tweaking the iDVD project file to trick it into encoding at a rate
that would allow more than 90 minutes to fit on a disc, but I don't
recall seeing mention of anyone actually trying that. If it's possible
and the results are good, then I'd do that. Otherwise, I need DVDSP.

What we *really* need is a "prosumer" version of DVDSP, so that we'd
have iDVD, new product, DVDSP just as the editing world has iMovie,
FCE, and FCP.

Patty