Burn Ad Infinitum or For Nuttin'

Jim Heid jim at heidsite.com
Fri Apr 16 08:39:18 PDT 2004

On 4/16/04 5:30 AM, "Macintosh Digital Video List"
<MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com> wrote:

> Please excuse the quick followup, but yet another weirdness transpires
> here. Beginning to think of this as iDVD4Pete's Sake...
>
> Just quit and reopened the project. In the very few previous DVD projects
> I've attempted, the encoding was done unless I had deleted the file. But
> this beast is now beginning the encoding process yet again!!! And it's been
> sitting on stage 2, Menu and Slideshow Encoding, for like a half hour!
> There are no slideshows, and menus consist of one main and three chapters.
> I am starting to miss VHS!
>
> Is there an update I've missed? Say to a USABLE version of this creature?

Be sure you've updated to 4.0.1 -- it fixes quite a few problems relating to
encoding, burning, and multiplexing. Get it through Software Update or at
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/idvdupdate.html

As for having to reencode everything, go to the Preferences dialog box and
make sure "Delete rendered files on closing a project" is *not* checked.

But note: After updating to 4.0.1, you'll want to delete those rendered
files. See this Apple doc:

After you do all this, check the Status pane, and don't click Burn until it
reports that all encoding is complete. (So much for multitasking...)

Use high-quality DVD-R blanks.

Don't use your Mac for anything else while the DVD is burning.

Brush your teeth and be kind to puppies.

Good luck!
- Jim

--
Jim Heid
Contributing Editor and "Digital Hub" columnist, Macworld