[MacDV] Re: iMovie / iDVD pixelation & noise

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Fri Apr 16 10:36:29 PDT 2004

On 4/16/04 12:23 PM, pwintink at ab.bluecross.ca at pwintink at ab.bluecross.ca
wrote:

> And that I'm using Quicktime
> movies.

I guess they'd rather you use the "oh so wonderful" Windblows Mediocre
format?

Actually, I think there may be issues with the way iMovie handles stills --
I've had intermittent weirdness with stills getting trashed (pixelated) for
no apparent reason.  In my opinion, the way iMovie handles stills is stupid
-- the assumption is that you want to do moves on them (Ken Burns effect),
and they start rendering and doing funky stuff with no way to stop it.  The
default SHOULD be that the stills are treated as stills until you, THE USER,
invoke the Ken Burns effect, and hold off the rendering until the project is
finished (or until THE USER clicks a "Render" button).

You may want to try a third-party app to do the stills.  I'd recommend Still
Life:  http://www.grantedsw.com/still-life/

If this is a big important project, and you anticipate doing more of them,
you may want to invest in one of the Final Cut products (Final Cut Express
should suit your needs).

2 cents.

- Mark