[MacDV] I Wish I Had Known...

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Mon Apr 19 07:57:39 PDT 2004

On 4/18/04 9:01 PM, Scott Cottrell at spaceboy87 at yahoo.com wrote:

> I wish that I had been able to read these pearls of wisdom from illovox four
> years ago...

> Here I've been in love with my first gen G4 all this time, never even
> realizing
> that it sucked. I feel so naive...

I'd say the 1st gen. G4 sucks less than the last-gen. G4s, and they suck WAY
less than the QuickSilver G4s (don't know about the G5 though), here's a
short, quick G4 comparison:

              1st Gen G4 (AGP)     QuickSilver G4     MDD G4 (latest)
processor
upgradeable?      YES!                  YES!                NO!

memory slots    4 (2 GB max.)      3 (1.5 GB max.)      4 (2 GB max.)

analog audio
input             YES                    NO                 YES

So, for longevity value, the 1st gen. G4s win -- more memory slots,
upgradeable processor (which rival performance of new G4s with equivalent
clock speed), and analog audio inputs (for those quick and dirty audio
captures you need to do, and for just more audio I/O flexibility).

2 cents.

- Mark