XVCD possible (desirable?) on Mac?

Malcolm Hamilton malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca
Wed Jan 7 10:43:39 PST 2004

Hi all -
I put together eight or nine-minute long docs, and would like to burn
them to disk.  DVDs are still a little pricey - - so yesterday I
burned one of my stories as a SuperVCD, to a CD-R.  It's not bad, if
I keep the viewing window on the small side.  But I figure there must
be a better way.  After all, the CD-R can hold 700MB, and my
nine-minute item, in SuperVCD, took up just 145MB.  Isn't there a
better quality format, that would use up more of the 700MB on the
CD-R (otherwise this space is wasted).
Someone recommended XVCDs, but when I checked these out on a website,
it only referred to Windows computers.  It also said that "XVCD is an
alternate VCD format (X stands for eXtended VCD)... that uses a
higher bit rate (3.5Mbits/second) as opposed to 1150Kbit/second for
the VCD, which results in better image quality.  You can convert them
using TMPGENC, which stands for Tsunami MP Encoder.  TMPGenc enables
you to adjust bitrate, quantaxation matrix, GOP structure, Interlace
and many other parameters"

Maybe I barking up the wrong tree here, being very new at this.  I
just want to burn the best quality video/audio I can, without wasting
a big 4.7GB DVD on a nine-minute-long item.
In QuickTime, by the way, this file is 1.9 GB - - too big for a CD-R.
In Super-VCD (as mentioned), this file is 145MB - - too small (i.e.
wasted space) for a CD-R.

Is there a format in between (XVCD maybe?) that would work?  On a Mac?

(By the way, I'm using a Dual 1.25 G4, with SuperDrive; editing with
Avid XpressDV)

Thanks for any advice,
Malcolm