[MacDV] Re: Looking for more storage?

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Thu Jan 8 08:59:48 PST 2004

On Jan 8, 2004, at 11:45, Peter van der Linden wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2004, at 8:15 AM, Doug Mitchell wrote:
>>  my "users folder" ... was about 6 gig so backing up to rewritable
>> CD's is not a good option.  I recently purchased a 120 gig external
>> firewire drive for my digital video files but I don't want to use
>> this space to back up my main hard drive.  I could purchase a
>> rewritable DVD drive or I could purchase another harddrive.
>
> Backups need to be quick and convenient, or else they don't get done.
> Then when your disk fails (which statistically is the most likely
> failure on a system, as well as the most catastrophic) you are hosed.
>
> The current generation of consumer DVD's only go up to 4.7GB capacity.
>  The next generation will go to 9GB, but they won't be available in
> volume for a year or more.  So you need to back up to disk.  The
> alternative is to find some software that can split backups across
> several dvds.  Or to split your data so that no one folder is bigger
> than a single dvd.  That's tiresome - we have computers to keep track
> of that kind of stuff. I recommend you get a cheap external firewire
> disk.  Any capacity in excess of 6GB will do.  A used disk is fine.
> Better, get a couple of used external disks, and rotate them.

What about DV Backup?  (http://www.coolatoola.com/)  I know backup
isn't really DV related, but "DV Backup" might be. ;)  Anyone tried
that software and have experience with it?  The author claims 15GB per
tape, which sounds interesting to me.  Once I buy my new machine (iMac
17" SD) in the next few days, I plan to try out this software.

Eagle