new to list, CD-RW woes

Claire Hart hart at arn.net
Fri Jan 9 22:45:45 PST 2004

Hello.  This is my first day to be on this list.  I've had 9.2.2 on my
iMac DV 400.  I've had no trouble downloading photos and the little
movies from a Jam Cam and a Sony Handy Cam with Memory Stick, all via
USB.  I've never taken the time to figure out how to connect the Handy
Cam with FireWire, but I knew that soon I would get Panther, and then
it would probably be simpler, so I've just waited.

Now that Panther is loaded, it doesn't recognize that the Handy Cam is
connected when I use FireWire.  It does recognize it through USB, and
in fact has downloaded all of the photos very simply, without me
reinstalling any drivers.  I've added a Fujifilm S5000 camera to the
collection, again without installing any drivers, and USB works
wonderfully.  But FireWire is as good as dead.  I am really ready to
start creating some little movies, such as for the various activities
our kids are involved in.

Then there's the related problem of the Fantom Drive FireWire 40x12x48x
CD-RW.  While this is not a DV problem, it's related to the above
situation, I think.  When a CD is inserted, I'm asked what I want to do
with it.  When I want to burn a CD from iPhoto, it tells me, "The disk
drive could not be used because the disk drive is not supported
(followed by a very long error code)."  I could not create a CD from a
predetermined playlist in iTunes, either, for some similar reason.  The
Fantom Drive website doesn't seem to address FireWire problems with
Panther, only USB problems.  I had no trouble burning back music or
data CDs in 9.2.2 with this burner.  (There are currently no drivers
for Panther for my Microtek Scanner, either, but that really is a
different issue.)  Do I need Toast or something like that?  I thought
that additional software was no longer necessary with Panther's version
of iTunes, iPhoto, etc.

Incidentally, I have no trouble accessing my Acom Data FireWire
external HD.

Could someone point me in the right direction?  I put off switching to
X until it looked like bugs were pretty much worked out, but I'm really
missing having the use of my CD-RW and scanner.  I hope that I'm just
overlooking something obvious.  I currently do not have a DVD burner,
but that shouldn't be the issue, should it?

Thanks for your suggestions,
Claire