Apple Training

sb videovideo at mac.com
Tue Jan 27 10:11:47 PST 2004

My opinion is that both books are lacking. The first one by Weynand is cold,
anal, and repetitive. Over and over again, little tiny steps.

The 2nd one, by the Digital Film Tree people has a lot of little errors.

Just my .02. The books are selling well, since they come from
Apple/Peachpit.

I have about 10 FCP books (going back to the first Lisa Braneis FCP book)
and I find (again, my opinion) that the books from CMP are a little better
than the books from all the Peachpit houses.

The Tom Wolsky series of FCP books is (personal opinion) the best written
books for people new to FCP or new to digital video editing in general. His
FCExpress book is excellent for people moving from iMovie to FCE.

The reason I like his books so much is not only his really friendly writing
style, he's an actual working editor, teacher, and guru on the Apple
FinalCut boards. He really knows the app, how to use it, and especially,
what trips people up. His books are very well organized for an intelligent
learning path. His books come with a tutorial CD/DVD that has all the files
necessary to work thru the book. It's like taking a course from him, which
you could also do, for a lot more money. (I did, at Stanford University)
Experience counts.

There's also a new FCP Tips and Tricks book, also by CMP, and written by two
well known FCP gurus. It had lots of great stuff they've accumulated from
the various FCP forums.

There are many FCP books out there now, and if you are a newbie, you will
probably get quite a bit of knowledge from any one of them.

You might want to spend some time reading the reviews on Amazon.com and
checking the rankings.

 again, just my personal opinion

 sb