[MacDV] 4-pin & 7-pin s-video cables

Mark M.Florida markf at squareblue.com
Sat Jul 10 08:38:32 PDT 2004

The s-video port on your PowerBook is only for *display output* -- you
can connect a TV to your computer and use it like a second monitor, or
to mirror your PowerBook's screen.  It's not really intended for video
playback -- it's there if you wanted to do a computer presentation on a
TV (or even record your computer screen to video tape).  The special
7-pin connector has composite video and s-video in the same jack -- if
you plug in a standard 4-pin s-video cable it will output the signal in
s-video quality, or if you use the s-video to composite video adapter
that came with your PowerBook, you can output to regular composite
video.

As far as video *capture* goes, the only real way is through the
FireWire port. You should have a 6-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable that
came with your PowerBook (if Apple still includes those). i.Link is
just Sony's brand name for the same thing -- FireWire and i.Link are
both also known as IEEE 1394. (catchy, eh?)  The main difference
between FireWire and i.Link is that "i.Link" devices only have the
4-pin connectors where anything labeled as "FireWire" can have either 4
or 6 pin connectors.

As far as transferring your old Hi-8 footage, you'll just need to
connect the analog outputs from that camcorder to the analog inputs of
your miniDV camera.  Depending on how your particular camera works, you
can either use it as a "pass-through" converter (it passes the analog
signal through to DV without going to tape first), or you'll have to
capture it to miniDV tape first.

Hope that helps.

- Mark