firewire/ilink

Jerome Meekings MacDV.spam at meekings.net
Tue Jul 13 14:49:29 PDT 2004

At 5:34am -0700 7/11/04, Gerhard Kuhn wrote:
>Sony sells both 4 and 6 pin i.link wires, the only difference between
>it and firewire is the name which stems back to when Apple charged a
>licensing fee for using the firewire name.

In fact Sonny (Panasonic and may be others) licensed the firewire
technology from Apple. They paid a one time fee and so now do not
have to pay anything to include it in there products. Why the name
was changed I do not know. Companies that were not early adopters
have been asked for a $1 per unit fee.