[MacDV] Re: File names when importing stills into FCP--MacDV

Carter Tomassi carter at messyoptics.com
Mon Mar 1 11:33:42 PST 2004

To add to Ted Langdell's nice rundown of stills to FCP I have two
suggestions:
1) Put a black sheet of construction paper on your scanner platten.
This prevents any black type on the photo's reverse side from showing
up subtly in the scanned image.

2) I am not sure about FCP but with Avids I used to scan at 720 x 540
and then squeeze down to 720 x 486 in After Effects. This turns the
square computer pixel into a pixel that will look normal when it is
elongated vertically for TV. Easiest advice: do the circle test. Scan a
round image and see what happens to it at 540 and at 486 when you put
it on a NTSC monitor. Maybe you should use less than 540 for a 480 DV
image.

Best source of into: Trish and Chris Myers' books from CMP publ. I have
no relationship to them but i am open to any job with VP in the title.