Steadicam & such

Puget Sound Cinema Society pscinema at scn.org
Sun Mar 7 09:10:24 PST 2004

Kathi & alia,

While this is "true", and it is certainly better to support the weight
of a camera with a vest attachment, this doesn't begin to touch the
functional issue of a steadicam. Your big assumption here, and it is
quite incorrect, is that the camera unit is stationary. No one holds a
steadicam in one fixed place, arm extended. That is the purpose of a
shoulder brace, and not a steadicam (and hand-held shots, by the way,
should always be taken with the arms *not* extended, but rather tucked
into the body as closely as possible). The very principle of a
steadicam set-up is that the camera will be *moving* in a predetermined
path, and it is this simple fact that is the reason Steadicams were
made in the first place. The purpose of the gimbal device in steadicams
is not to "hold the picture steady"; rather, it is to stabilize a
picture already in motion. It is, in effect, a small shock absorber,
and while shock absorbers on cars do not by any means hold the car
steady, they certainly make for a more fluid ride by softening the
smaller and slightly larger shocks to the vehicle. So it is with the
gimbal. The gimbal absorbs the shocks that would make a tracking shot
flutter distractingly, and smooths out the actual lateral and vertical
motion of the tracking. It doesn't stop such motion, nor does it need
to, any more than a shock absorber stops a car from moving. The point
is minimization of unnecessary movement, rather than cessation of all
movement. Too, remember that Steadicams were devised for 20-30 lb 35mm
cameras, not the 2-5 pound MiniDV cameras which move indiscreetly far
more than cinema cameras because of their lighter weight. Inertia and
all that.

Furthermore, the average length of a take in any independent film I
have seen is nowhere near the length of time I can hold an unmounted
steadicam or a camera on a shoulder mount. In fact, the average length
of a shot in american cinema is closer to 4.3 seconds, so I don't
honestly think anyone is really worried about duration. The number of
Steadicam shots compared to hand-held or tripod shots is minuscule.
Steadicams are for very few shots in the long run of a feature, and
there is plenty of time throughout the process of shooting a feature to
recover from the 15 minutes of steadicam work in the much longer
process of shooting tripod shots. And a moving steadicam wears less on
the muscles than a non-moving one, by far.

There seems to be a big misunderstanding about what a Steadicam really
does, or is used for. I think many people believe that "steadicam" is
simply a system for stabilizing a hand-held shot, and that just isn't
true. A shoulder mount would serve much better for most people's needs
in simple hand-held photography. Steadicams and Glidecams are very
specialized stabilizers. You can remind your folks at Birns & Sawyer of
that point for me--please. The very point of most homemade stabilizers
is simply to keep from bankrupting a poor indie filmmaker who only
needs a certain type of handheld travelling shot once in awhile for
his/her imaginative cinematography. Or you can spend $5,000 for an
official (Birns & Sawyer approved, I'm sure) Steadicam mini setup, at
which point you've already wasted your half your lifetime film budget
as an indie filmmaker. Or buy a $300 shoulder mount from Birns &
Sawyer, rather than building your own for the $25 that mine cost. Or a
Steadicam Jr. for $500 from somewhere else.

Take anything that a business person tells you with a grain of salt,
especially when it comes to products in which that person has a vested
(sorry, couldn't resist a pun) interest.

Omar Willey (not a member of SOA)