Camera Stabilizers

David A. Schwartz d.a.schwartz at verizon.net
Mon Mar 8 20:33:15 PST 2004

Christopher <christianfilm at mac.com> wrote:

> Kathi,
>
> I found your post about Steadycams to be very useful and resourceful
> and I think you are right. What do you suggest for a small indie
> shoot? I am uncertain which stabalizer devide to go
> with. Steaditracker? Glidecam?
>
> Chris

Chris, go with the Glidecam if you can afford it. I'm a professional
Steadicam operator and I've demo'd the Glidecam. It's one of the first
Steadicam ripoffs to emerge legally after the expiration of the
original Steadicam patents. As such, it's pretty good for what it is
and probably up to the demands that a low (or no) budget indie would
place on it. I'm talking about the body harness and spring arm version
of the Glidecam. I think they also make a hand-held version, and these
devices (like the SteadyTracker) have limitations in that they really
don't isolate the operator's movement from the camera. They do help a
bit by increasing the inertia of the camera so your moves are a little
less squirrely, but they won't do much in the way of eliminating bumps
and shakes from walking shots. For that, you're gonna need some
springs. The Hollywood Lite was a pretty good-looking unit for DV
cameras. I never actually tried one, but it looked like a credible
version of a slimmed-down Steadicam. I'm not sure if they're still in
production, but I'm sure you could find one somewhere out there.

Dave Schwartz