[MacDV] Re: Lost in Japan

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Mar 17 09:12:32 PST 2004

On 3/17/04 11:00 AM, Laurie, Richard at RLaurie at ligand.com wrote:

> I am not familiar with DVD Studio Pro, but are you supposed to be able
> to create DVD of over two hours? If not, you will need to edit down your
> movies to free up space for your menus.

You should be able to lower the bitrate to squeeze a *lot* of video on a 4.7
GB disc -- like 4 hours or even more.  That's why DVD SP is a "pro" app --
it gives you ultimate control...  but knowing how to control it is another
issue.  I'm only familiar with DVD SP 1.x, and using the QuickTime MPEG-2
export plug-in that comes with it, it's pretty easy to adjust the bitrate of
the resulting MPEG-2 file (just move the bitrate adjustment slider left or
right -- it also displays how much disc space the encoded file will use).
So as long as all of your encoded media is *less than* 4.4 GB (yes, 4.4 GB
[binary] and *NOT* 4.7 GB [base 10]), you should be able to fit it on one
disc.

Hope that helps?

- Mark