[MacDV] DVDs, VIDEO_TS & Toast 6

hawkgx at planetkc.com hawkgx at planetkc.com
Tue May 4 14:47:38 PDT 2004

On May 3, 2004, at 9:48 PM, Randy Clark wrote:

> Using DVDBackup, I made a duplicate of one of my commercial DVDs to
> send with my kids while they're away at their grandparents. No, I
> don't trust them to take care of the original ;^) and I may want to
> watch the video while they're away. I checked & it appears I'm within
> my Fair Use rights.

You'd think its perfect reasonable, but its not what any court would
interpret as fair use because you have to defeat a copy protection
scheme to do it. In fact, its a violation of the DMCA. IMO, its a bad
combination: the activity seems reasonable, but there are obscure laws
that attach a BIG penalty to it, *and* they're generally not being
enforced except at the whim of a prosecutor - when its convenient to
make an example of someone.

SR

Well, it's really not worth it to me to go against the DMCA.  I get no
appreciable financial advantage
in copying the DVDs I already own.  It was merely a matter of minor
convenience for the family.
Which means if I don't do it (I'm not going to bother with it now), I'm
only inconvenienced in a
minor way.  Not a lot of 8+ GB non-copyrighted DVDs floating around out
there that I'd be
interested in copying to a 4.7GB DVD-R anyway. So, not much point in
figuring it out, I guess.
Thanks for the feedback.
Randy