Which Format?

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Fri May 7 07:18:17 PDT 2004

On Thursday, May 6, 2004, at 02:52  PM, Gregg Gorrie wrote:

> on 5/6/04 5:55 AM, Steve Robertson at stever at mindspring.com wrote:
>
>> Ever since I subscribed to this list, I've been hoping we would get
>> into a detailed discussion about how to keep the resolution as high as
>> possible
> To start with, the quality is going to be limited mainly by your input
> (what
> kind of camera are you shooting the video with?) and your output

I'm looking for a more general discussion. In other words, what factors
maximize the resolution for ANY DV camera? For example, it took a lot
of trial and error for me to learn that my Sony TRV 900 produces much
higher resolution if I make sure that there's plenty of light on the
scene, then cut down the exposure slightly to guard against burned out
hot spots. Maybe there are other techniques that I haven't yet
discovered that also have a big influence on the resolution.

> Sorenson 3 is a very good format >given the small file
> size/bandwidth<, but
> is obviously not broadcast quality.

Staying general, I'm wondering how - once you've decided on QuickTime
as an output, which optional controls in Sorenson 3 create the
ultra-sharp picture that I've observed in some Sorenson 3 clips? I
think this discussion should be divided into techniques for streaming
video and techniques for video distributed on CD-R. I'm mainly
concerned with CD-R distribution, but I ran across some very sharp
streaming Sorenson 3 video:

http://www.maryandmars.com/multimedia.html

Steve R.