[MacDV] Burning Speeds

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 7 08:04:39 PDT 2004

On 10/7/04 7:52 AM, "Steve Robertson" <stever at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Toast allows you to choose a burn speed for DVD-Rs? That would seem to
> contradict the information from Apple that I relayed a couple of days
> ago. Apple says that if you insert a 1X, 4X or 8X blank in a
> SuperDrive, the blank is burned at only 1X.

I believe the information you're referring to from Apple only applies to the
older 2X SuperDrives. It's my understanding that the newer models have 4X
drives and can burn at that speed. The paragraph from the Apple Web site,
concerning the firmware update for older models, reads as follows:

"Will this update enable my 2x SuperDrive to write at a higher speed?
This update enables you to read from and write to the new media, but it does
not increase the speed of the drive. In fact, the updated 2x SuperDrive
writes to this faster media at 1x. So to obtain the highest performance from
your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend that you continue using 2x DVD-R media just
as you do today."

Hope this helps,
Brian