[MacDV] Optimum Resolution

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 30 05:59:19 PDT 2004

I do a lot of videotaping of musicians with spotlights of varying
strengths shining on them. At first, using a digital camcorder and auto
exposure, I got hot spots on the face and elsewhere that were pure
white and could not be corrected in editing. Then I switched to manual
exposure control. I usually set the exposure a little on the low side
and make it look brighter - if necessary - in editing.

The problem now is that brightly lit scenes seem to have noticeably
higher resolution than the ones where I eliminate hot spots with the
exposure control. On top of that, I recently started trying to mix
digital and analog cameras (15 year old analog cameras with 3 1/2" CCDs
but analog output) and the analog cameras require a little more light
than the digital ones.

So, from a resolution standpoint, is it better to open the iris and
adjust the spotlight intensity to eliminate hot spots? Or is it better
to pour on the light and close down the iris to eliminate the hot spots?

By the way, does anybody know where I might find a manual for a JVC
KY-15 camera? Or just detailed instructions on the correct way to set
the white balance?

Steve R.
http://www.folk-roots-music-video.com/