[MacDV] 8MM to DVD transfer

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Thu Apr 21 11:04:47 PDT 2005

--On April 20, 2005 09:38:40 PM -0500 Nick Scalise <nickscalise at mac.com>
wrote:

> One thing, if you don't remember anything else, DO NOT let them put the
> video on DVD. Have them put it on MiniDV tape, then you capture it yourself
> and make your own DVD's.

Taking into account the mediocre resolution of most 8mm consumer movie camera
lenses and the resolution of 8mm film itself, does it matter that much
whether it comes from MiniDV tape or a compressed DVD version? Isn't the
resolution "loss" from compression greater than the resolution limits of the
source material anyway? I don't have the numbers on this, so I have no idea
myself.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com