[MacDV] "The device drained its buffer without burn underrun protection."

Rich rgb at ellerbach.com
Sun Dec 11 07:04:04 PST 2005

On 11-12-2005 9:03, Norm Loomer wrote:

>I'm trying to use Disk Utility to burn copies of a DVD disk image.
>Three times in a row--with two different blank DVDs--the disk has
>ejected and I have received the message, "The device drained its buffer
>without burn underrun protection." What does that mean, and what can I
>do about it?
>
>I have logged out and back in and shut down all other applications. I
>am using FujiFilm DVD-R media, up to 8x. I have an eMac with 768 MB of
>SRAM. I have done this several times before without problem.

You've done this before with this disk image or do you mean with others
you've made?

What speed did you use? If not 1x try using that speed and see if it
goes through.

Do you have another brand of DVD-R? It is possible that you have a bad
group of blanks and you are just now hitting them.

It is also possible that your drive is going bad and is unable to write
the discs properly in the time required and it is possible that your
harddisk is having problems feeding data to your DVD burner fast enough.
All of these things can result in the buffer underrun problem.

Rich