[MacDV] Audacity

Alex alex at fotomotion.net
Mon Feb 21 08:12:18 PST 2005

Hi Eric

You will indeed have a problem processing audio this way.

Firstly when you normalize a piece of audio it will not do what you are
after by its self.
When you normalize audio the program will look for the highest aptitude
peaks in the audio and pull them to the
normalizing percentage that you have chosen and enhance the levels of
the rest of the audio in relation to that.
This means that if you already have really loud sections of audio their
gain will only be raised slightly if at all and
the rest of your audio will not get much of a level boost either.
To do this so that you have an even sound throughout your audio you
must first carefully compress the audio,
this will give a much evener level to your audio, then normalize to get
a better level

As far as the lost frames is concerned that is par for the course I am
afraid.
Digital audio files are subdivided into samples either 44,100 or 48,000
of them a second
Digital film is subdivided into frames at 25, 29, 29drop or 30 per
second
Within iMove or FCP the problem of syncing frames and samples is taken
care of because it has to be.
Unfortunately when you process audio in an audio only app is takes no
account of the necessity of keeping
the two in sync. Thus you will end up with miscellaneous sub-frame
errors when you try to put the two back together.

In order to keep them fully in sync you have to use a program that will
reference the footage's frames as well as
the audio's samples.

Alex