[MacDV] FCE - supported codecs

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Jan 12 16:32:43 PST 2005

>I know that iMovie will only work with DV encoded video, such as
>what comes from a digital video camera via Firewire.  FCP has no
>limitations that way.   I'm wondering if anyone can enlighten me on
>FC Express' limits.  Will it handle video from other sources using
>other codecs, such as MPEG2?
>
>This is for a friend who keeps running up against iMovie's wall and
>wants to move beyond it.  I have shown her FCP, but she can't
>justify that much money for a hobby.  I don't want to recommend the
>wrong product.

I've used FCE1 to edit AVI video captured on my WinXP Pro box because
FCE1 doesn't like my video camera.  The following page might help you
as well:
http://www.apple.com/finalcut/ though it doesn't seem to mention the
information that you're looking for.  Another option might be to
check out an FCE2 book at your local bookstore.

Personally I'm really looking forwards to trying out iMovie 5,
previous versions haven't been any good for me, but iMovie 5 and iDVD
5 might do what I need, and if they do I won't need to upgrade my
copies of FCE1 and DVDSP2.  OTOH, the new Final Cut Express HD has
all the features from FCP that I've been wanting :^)  So I'll
probably at least get that upgrade.

		Zane