[MacDV] Re:O-T--So called "doomsday" plan for analog and other comments-- MacDV Digest, Vol 12, Issue 11

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Jul 20 13:45:51 PDT 2005

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:  	(530) 741-1212

  I think it's a moot point. Analog IS going to go away, even if it
provides better picture quality compared off the air to much of what's
squeezed into the analog cable systems or digital pipes of cable and
sattelite providers.

The main thing to remember is that Over the Air television will still
exist, and that people who can't afford or don't want cable or
sattelite will still be able to watch TV, much as they do now.

By the tine 2009 rolls around, I think you'll find that there are more
standalone digital tuners on the market, and more sets with digital
tuners in them... with affordable prices.  Keep an eye on Wal-Mart.

That's despite some manufacturers that have pulled ANY kind of tuner
out of certain models of their sets in order to get around a law
that--much like the old  ALL Channel VHF/UHFTuner rule from the late
50s/early 60's--required digital tuning if analog tuning was present.

Regarding Over the Air viewing... the number of people opting for an
antenna may be on the rise since many cable and satellite providers
either don't now carry the analog stations' DTV signals, or carry only
the "main" channel of the DTV.

The options available from a specific broadcast channel received over
the air are far greater than if you don't have one or subscribe to none
of the digital services.

More telling for some folks is that the quality of the broadcast OTA
signal(s) may be better than that of the broadcast channels as funneled
by cable or satellite.

I'm not a big fan of what MPEG-2 does to video, frankly, and I've not
been impressed with the results of aggegators (cable and satellite
providers) digital offerings. The artifacts are often aggravating.

In some ways MPEG-2 and what's done to squeeze 300-500 channels into
the aggregators' pipes is akin to forcing a 6-11 basketball player into
the back seat of an old Chevy Geo with no air conditioning on a blazing
hot day.

BUT... that's the way things are going... and why I'll opt for an
antenna and other reception accessories when I decide to add broadcast
DTV to the media mix in my home and business.

Ted.