[MacDV] Re: Editing, then sending to a DVD recorder in real time--MacDV Digest, Vol 10, Issue 21

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Sun May 15 20:55:07 PDT 2005

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:  	(530) 741-1212

On my machine, the"divide" function can be pretty precise depending on
how good one is at hitting "pause" before committing to making a split.
  I prefer splitting and deleting rather than the "shortening" function
which can lead to deleted programs too easily in my case.

Now that I think about it, the "edit" point might be dependent on where
the MPEG-2 "I" frame is, which is related to how many frames are in the
Group of Pictures (GOP) used to recreate the original frames.  The
fewer pictures, the more precise you can be. Some GOPs are 15
frames—half a second in NTSC.

If you do need to more precisely edit or condense, then sucking the VHS
into the computer, editing and outputting to the DVD recorder would be
the way to go... and realtime on the output. Way faster than burning a
DVD using the computer's DVD burner.

Ted.