[MacDV] Commercial VHS copying

Rauno Teravainen lrdomus at earthlink.net
Sat May 28 18:17:50 PDT 2005

I needed an A/D converter for some of my old VHS tapes and, since I
didn't want to invest too much for the low quality videos, I ended up
buying a Miglia Alchemy TV DVR for $149.95.  It has composite and
S-Video inputs and also a TV tuner build in.  For the purpose of
digitizing VHS it has all the quality I needed.  Just as a test I ran a
commercial DVD through the S-video to my old Mac and it happily
converted it to a Quicktime file  (8.6 GB for an hour and 55 minutes
with the setting I had there at the time) and the quality is pretty OK
considering the very reasonable price of the unit.  I have not tried to
digitize a commercial VHS tape, but my feeling is that it would do that
as well.
I was running the DVD on my old 400 Sawtooth and it was working all the
way on the max, processor running between 92 to 97%, occasionally maxing
at 100 (no easily detectable drop-out though).  The unit is compatible
also with G5, but I haven't tried that yet, because I have other things
I want to do on my G5 and seldom would have time to tie it for long
digitizing runs.  It says in the package that "Full screen MPEG-4
requires G4/1GHz".
For the purpose I acquired the unit, it performs in a satisfactory way
and also gives me an opportunity to record TV programs, should I need
that function.  It also has iCal scheduling and TitanTV support (haven't
tried either one yet).

Rauno.