[MacDV] Exporting avi from iMovie

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Tue Sep 27 07:32:13 PDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I¹ve got a project in iMovie about an hour and 10 minutes long with some
titles and some audio extracted and pasted over other clips and the sound
boosted to 150%. It¹s all fine in iMovie but I need to export/share it as an
AVI file. In the ³share² export panel I select full quality no compression
and it exports with the .avi extension. This works fine for small clips (2-3
minutes) but when I try to export the entire movie (about 15-18 GB) it
either gives me an error saying either unknown data type or it just stops
with no errors but with no video clip either. The reason it has to be
exported as a raw avi is because it has to go to a Windows machine to be
converted to streaming WMV files. The windows machine needs the raw video
and a script encodes the video at different bit rates depending on the users
connection speed and makes it one massive file which our server understands.
I¹ve done tests with small video exported from the Mac and it is suitable
for use on the PC. This needs to be done to finish this project for starters
but in the long run this needs to work to continue to help justify the Macs
existence where I work. Video is supposed to be one of Apple¹s strengths at
least that¹s how I¹m selling it to the faculty here so this is an
embarrassment to me. Am I doing something wrong?

Panther iMac 20² G5 1 GB of RAM not other apps running while attempting
export.

Thanx

Richard