[MacDV] saving a movie as a disk image

Granville Kennedy gskiii at verizon.net
Wed Apr 5 19:42:06 PDT 2006

Depends on which version of iMovie/iDVD you are using.  Any version
of iMovie before 5 required you to run a hack to so this trick.
Generally, this is done in iDVD - I've posted a quote from here -

http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?
mode=display&sid=20040701133707512&title=Burn+to+DVD-RWs+in+iDVD&pid=0

This is a mess of an URL :-(

> On a related note - there is a hack floating around that allows you
> to use iDVD with external burners and also to save from iDVD to a
> disk image (for burning on another machine, archiving, etc). I
> believe it will also allow burning to DVD-RW, if not you can
> certainly save to disk image and use Toast, or Disk Utility to burn
> to whatever you want. I have even burned miniDVD's onto CD media
> using the Disk Image technique.
>
> The hack basically involves putting two files in your home
> directory - one named "Pfurz" and the other named "Hurz". The files
> are essentially empty - except the "Hurz" file contains an empty
> resource of type "AFRA" and the "Pfurz" file contains an empty
> resource of type "LISA". No harm can be done as the files are
> basically empty. No one seems to understand why this works - it has
> been suggested it is a programmers debug scheme - but who knows.
>
> You can create the two files mentioned above, then open them in
> your favorite Resource Editor and add the appropriate (empty)
> resources if you desire. Or if you desire - the following shell
> script will create the files for you. It requires the Satimage
> Scripting Addition - available here http://www.satimage.fr/software/
> downloads/Satimage259.sit.

This used to do the trick for me before I upgraded.  I still have
Hurz and Pfurz installed at the root level of my home directory.
Here is a better URL with step by step instructions and a link to
download this Easter Egg.

  http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy/mac_support/mac_help/pages/0015-
burn_idvd_other.html

Hope this helps.