[MacDV] Strange Compressor PAL 4:3 output

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Thu Dec 7 05:48:15 PST 2006

I don't work with PAL (or any conversions at all), but it probably
has something to do with pixel aspect ratios. PAL pixel aspect ratios
are 16:15 - i.e wider than they are tall, while NTSC pixels are
square, 1:1. I notice that 576:540 is 16:15. Can you change the pixel
aspect ratio in Compressor?

On 7-Dec-06, at 12:25 AM, Brett Conlon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A colleague (MacBook Pro/10.4) brought to my attention a strange thing
> happening with Compressor when processing PAL 4:3 QuickTime files.
>
> He dropped a 720X576 file into Compressor, set up his own Preset
> (PAL) and
> the output changes to 720X540 (Get Info in QuickTime). I tried the
> same
> thing on my Mac (G4 AlBook10.4) and got the same results.
>
> Any one out there working on PAL and can confirm this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Coj

Peter Tattersall
http://www.zerobyzero.ca/Starstruck/